Aching Hearts and Broken Dreams (Dream, Evening, + Quiet)

Forums ThunderClan ThunderClan Territory Berry Flats Aching Hearts and Broken Dreams (Dream, Evening, + Quiet)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Hareflight [Mel]
    Participant

After spending weeks healing under the gentle care of Peachblossom, it felt strange to be back out in ThunderClan territory. The grass out here was softer than she remembered, even frostbitten as it was, and it felt good to get out and stretch her legs. As much as she wanted to, she resisted the urge to start sprinting through the trees; dizzy spells still hit Dreamfeather sometimes, and the last thing she needed was to run straight into a tree and get another concussion. For now, the ginger molly was contented with walking through the forest, soaking in the sounds and smells and letting memories come to her like brief flashes of lightning. 

That was one of the things she had been struggling with. Her memory. Sometimes she felt as though she was forgetting something, something just out of her grasp. It was like waking up from a dream and only being able to remember fragments of it… and it was frustrating. Try as she may, Dreamfeather had the nagging urge that she was missing some piece of her, and she just couldn’t figure it out. But traversing the familiar paths of ThunderClan territory, Dreamfeather felt at ease for perhaps the first time in nearly a moon – even after the battle, even after her concussion, even after hearing how disastrous the gathering had gone the night prior. For today, Dreamfeather felt okay.

As the trees thinned, bright rays reached the forest floor, turning Dreamfeather’s pelt a bright gold. She paused for a moment, closing her eyes to bask in the warmth. It wasn’t until she opened them again that she realized that she was on the WindClan border, overlooking the moors. Glancing to the side, she was struck with a sudden memory. Her, waiting behind that very tree and Eveningstorm creeping up on her. Them, talking for hours. A lump rose in her throat, and she was left staring at the oak tree, as she contemplated the memory. She had met with him here, often. How long had it been? She wasn’t sure – Dreamfeather wasn’t even sure how long she’d been recovering – but it had been… a long time. Was he still coming?

Trying to recover from the sudden sick feeling that was rising in her stomach, she groomed down a tuft of fur that was sticking up on her chest before gazing out over the moors. Her tail brushed the forest floor as she sat, making the dead leaves below her crinkle and crack in protest. All at once, her tail soft, and she swore in that moment that she could hear her heart beating in her ears. She took a few more steps towards the border, stopping just short of crossing it as she stared intently into WindClan territory. There was no mistaking that dark tabby pelt, she remembered the way it glowed under the moonlight, how her heart jumped seeing it slip closer to the treeline.

Eveningst-” She began to call, but her jaws clamped tightly shut. There was someone with him, someone close to him. The sick feeling returned, but this time it would stay. The jig was up, she had called his name and the wind had carried it right to him. To him and his grey marbled companion. Emerald eyes wide, she glanced back into her territory, considering running away, but deciding against it. After all, if Tinyflame could learn to deal with Dreamfeather, surely this cat could too. Hesitantly, the bright ginger tabby offered a wide smile, settling back onto her haunches.

Feared
    Participant

Eveningstorm ~ WindClan Warrior

Large paws moved easily through the growing grass of the moorland, long tail swaying carelessly behind the tall and broad tomcat. Slowly his tongue ran over his lips, chin tilting as he contemplated hunting but today was a lazy day. New-leaf was good for that, making life just a bit easier with the plentiful prey and fact that sickness went down considerably. Nostrils flared for a second as he glanced towards Quiethawk and gave the tomcat a slight grin. “Lighten up, Startledcrow didn’t get that mad.” Of course, he was referring to the fact that Quiethawk had started hunting before Startledcrow had given the go ahead, resulting in Quiethawk hurting his shoulder to the point of it aching. So today, he was taking a walk with his good friend. Honestly, he enjoyed the tomcats presence, lately he was growing attached to him. Perhaps it was because of his previous heart break, Dreamfeather had stopped meeting with him for a straight moon and her sister had already alerted him that she wouldn’t be seeing him anytime soon. Whatever that meant. Fine. If she was done with him, then he was done too.

In fact, he was ignoring the ThunderClan border all together. Fur ruffled from the warm breeze that was freely flowing throughout the moor, dark brown tabby and white fur dancing in the wind. “I honestly think he’s fond of you, Quiethawk.” He snickered playfully to his comrade, shifting slightly to lightly bump his shoulder with Quiethawk’s being careful not to hurt him too much. Ears twitched as a familiar voice fluttered through the wind, it was choppy but he knew instantly who the voice belonged to. Shoulders tensed as he instantly turned his chin in the direction of the ThunderClan border to spot the bright golden furred molly, his dark amber eyes wide for a moment before they hardened. She hadn’t met him in over a moon, gave him nothing to go on and here she was smiling. Something about her was different, a little off from the Dreamfeather he knew. Ears twitched at the sound of grass creasing under the weight of Quiethawk’s paws reminded him that there was another presence here other than them. Clearing his throat, he watched Dreamfeather warily for the briefest of moments. “Hello, Dreamfeather.” He meowed, keeping his tone flat and unwelcoming. To Eveningstorm he had been dumped and was moving on, he had no idea what Dreamfeather had gone through. He had been almost entirely erased from her mind. She had forgotten about him in her time of need. Tail tip twitched with anxious and irritable energy, taking only a few steps forward to look closely at the she-cat.

Pheebs
    Participant

Quiethawk snorted, disbelief written on his face. “Not that mad? Fond of me?” The tom shook his head. “You must’ve declined in intelligence over the night, if anything your brother hates me more than ever.” He was only partially joking, because if he was being honest he and Startledcrow had been talking more, and Quiethawk found himself becoming more amused and less irritated with Startled’s demands for him to “care more about his health”.

A voice calling Eveningstorm’s name drew his eyes and ears to the Thunderclan borders, his initial surprising waning and turning into suspicion. Quick as a flash Quiethawk went back his usually smooth, playful smile, the tension in his shoulders almost unnoticeable but still there.

“Well? Don’t be rude, let’s go over. It’s not like our clan is at odds with Thunderclan.” In a few quick, albeit painful, strides the warrior brought himself ever closer to the ginger molly. “Morning… dreamfeather, was it?” Quiethawk allowed a friendly, if slightly detached, smile to flicker across his face before resuming a neutral expression. It was difficult to see through his mask of calm, a shield between him and his building anger. Who he was angry at was undetermined, for now.

It was no secret that Quiethawk had begun to get more familiar with Eveningstorm, as he did he was beginning to enjoy his presence. He’d even add the tom to his list of cats who he’d sacrifice anything for, and that list was mostly himself and his leader. ‘Perhaps this is just a misunderstanding.’ The with tom immediately chastised himself for being idiotic, allowing his emotions to try and rule out a viable guess on the nature of this she-cat’s relationship with a tom who he may or may not fancy was unforgivable.

Hareflight [Mel]
    Participant

The smile faded as quickly from the molly’s lips as it had come. Was there something wrong? Had she misremembered the information from the gathering – were WindClan and ThunderClan actually at odds? No, she didn’t think so. So what was wrong? Still, she couldn’t help the hitch in her breath as she watched Eveningstorm draw nearer, her gaze flickering to Quiethawk for only a moment before it was back to Eveningstorm. But then the dark tabby spoke, and Dreamfeather flinched back, trying to ignore the hardness of his tone. This wasn’t the cat she knew. Her eyes were wide, but as Quiethawk spoke, she allowed a faint smile to slip onto her lips and looked over to him.

Um.. Yes. Dreamfeather is my name. And you are?” Her tone was friendly, albeit confused, and her gaze flickered between the two toms as she tried to piece together the puzzle with only a few of the pieces. Rising to her paws, she offered a halfhearted grin, taking one more step to the edge of the border. “I can’t believe Eveningstorm would be so rude so as not to introduce us, can you?” Her words were teasing, but spoken slowly, and something still seemed off. Emerald eyes fixed on Eveningstorm once more and her brows furrowed. Why was he so stiff? Had something just happened? Was he hurt? “Are you okay, Eveningstorm?” She said softly, her voice near a whisper.  Maybe something had happened in WindClan that she didn’t know about, like a battle. It wouldn’t surprise her if the information hadn’t been relayed to her, with everything that had happened at the gathering. Or maybe she just forgot. 

This was beginning to be a growing fear of hers. Something was undeniably off in this encounter, and it could easily be something she didn’t know about, but… What if it was her? What if she had done or said something to Eveningstorm and she simply couldn’t remember it? Dreamfeather shook her head slightly to clear the thoughts, fixing her gaze on the other two felines and trying to ignore the sick feeling rolling in her stomach still.

Feared
    Participant

He honestly didn’t even want to get closer to the border, pupils narrowing into slim fang shaped like slots as he watched the molly before them. She was very confused, he could see that upon her facial expression and the shimmer within her eyes was gone. Dreamfeather had no idea what was going on, but one thing was for sure, she could at least tell he wasn’t being welcoming. Slowly he cleared his throat for a moment as he side glanced towards Quiethawk as the tomcat questioned Dreamfeather, solidifying her name within his mind while Eveningstorm rolled his tongue over his teeth. This was rather awkward. But why was it? Tinystorm and Startledcrow were the only cats that knew about his relationship with Dreamfeather, but that had been severed and he really didn’t want it to come to light now. Quiethawk was eerily calm, only asking for the mollies name while Tinystorm had been a whole different level of nosey. But for good reason.

Dark amber eyes were clouded with anger as he watched every move made by the she-cat, she was clearly acting as though there was nothing wrong. The only sign of his agitation being provoked by her statement of him introducing the two felines to one another was the simply flick of his left ear. Taking his sweet time as a half-assed smile curled along his lips, although it appeared more like a sneer. “Oh, do forgive me. Where did I put my manners?” He questioned rhetorically, although his smile disappeared altogether while his long tail lashed behind him. “Quiethawk, this is Dreamfeather, a friend of mine from ThunderClan. Dreamfeather, this is Quiethawk, he’s my best friend.” He responded tartly, his dark brown tabby fur ruffled along his shoulders and haunches from his unease. At her question to his well being, he pressed his lips together for a moment, before he tilted his head as his dark eyes pierced her. “I’m fine. Do tell me… I haven’t seen you patrolling the border in almost two moons. ThunderClan slowed the patrols?” Eveningstorm found himself questioning, wording his question differently because of Quiethawk but he friend was no fool but hopefully wouldn’t look too far into it.

Pheebs
    Participant

Quiethawk exhaled through his nose, breathing slow and steady in an effort to maintain his relaxed, almost friendly facade. Had this molly been anyone else he’d have chased her off in a heartbeat, as it were she seemed to be familiar with Eveningstorm. Very familiar.

Gritting his teeth against her teasing tone, the dark shaded tabby revealed another bright smile. “Sorry, for not introducing myself.” He tilted his head, mimicking confusion. “What brings you to our border? Come to see the rolling hills?” Quiet offered a playful side grin. “I can’t blame you, the view can be pretty lovely.” What might’ve been a compliment had a tinge of bitterness to it as the Windclanner nudged Eveningstorm, an innocent gesture but from him it was almost a threat.

“Don’t worry about him, Windclan had a small problem and he and I were on he patrol that solved it.” He cut in after Eveningstorm, he might’ve been playing up his friendliness to get Dreamfeather to warm up to him, but he had no intention of letting her in on the fight that the patrol had with the mountain lion. He was a Windclan warrior and wasn’t obligated to tell this Thunderclanner anything.

“Been keeping an eye on her, huh?” Quiet snickered even as the bitter taste of bike clawed up his throat, the sting of pain and warning bells loudly taking up his headspace. ‘Calm yourself.’ Quiet had to be the third party, the observer, if he wanted to understand this… dynamic. Dreamfeather was clearly friendly but puzzled by Evening’s behaviour, which suggested that they had a falling out but it was one sided.

Hareflight [Mel]
    Participant

Friend. Dreamfeather flinched slightly at the tone Eveningstorm had used, but tried to play it off by turning her gaze to Quiethawk and dipping her head slightly to him in greeting. “Good to meet you, Quiethawk.” She offered a small smile at his words, glancing out past them at the moors before focusing her gaze on the two toms once more. “It is beautiful. I couldn’t be anywhere but the forest, though, the trees are… comforting.” She bit off the ‘sometimes’ she was tempted to add, shaking the thoughts off as Eveningstorm began to speak. This was the first time that the ginger tabby hesitated, licking her lips slightly, her tufted ears twitching as she considered how to word what she wanted to say. Clearly Quiethawk didn’t want to disclose whatever this ‘problem’ had been, but surely it would be okay to mention the battle with RiverClan… by the sounds of it everyone at the gathering had heard about it, and even if they hadn’t been their, their Clanmates had surely told them.

ThunderClan’s patrols have been fine,” she said at last, shrugging a shoulder dismissively. “I’ve been… recovering from battle injuries.” What she was not going to disclose was that she has fallen from a tree while fleeing a RiverClan warrior. For all they knew, she could be sporting some heavy scars. After all, her fur was long and thick, and often hid wounds once they had healed somewhat. Then, to try to lighten the mood – if only her own – she added, “Peachblossom has been keeping a close eye on me. This is the first time I’ve been allowed out into the territories by myself in.. a while. It’s nice to be out and about.” She smiled, swishing her feathery tail, green eyes glancing to the trees on her side of the border. Then a thought struck her, and she blinked slowly at Eveningstorm, amending her words just before they were spoken to avoid undue suspicion from Quiethawk. “Surely you’ve seen Softglow on patrols. I was sure she would have… mentioned me.” Her head tilted slightly, one of her ears twitching. “Didn’t she?” 

This being said, she glanced over at Quiethawk. “Oh, I’m sorry, Quiethawk. I’m being so rude, it’s just been so long since I’ve seen him. Here I go, rambling and- and,” Her words paused as a bout of dizziness hit her and she closed her eyes for a moment, blinking it away. After a moment’s pause, she continued. “Well, I’m sorry that you’re just listening to me chatter on about what we’ve missed.

Feared
    Participant

Eveningstorm could tell the air was tense around Quiethawk as he gauged the situation, chin tilting for a brief moment as the two felines conversed awkwardly with one another. Clearly his companion wanted to know why Dreamfeather was hanging around the border and it was clear to Eveningstorm that he was the very reason. As he was nudged by Quiethawk, a small grunt vibrated within his throat as he looked away from Dreamfeather and briefly glanced towards Quiethawk. Usually he enjoyed the brief touches and gestures between the two of them but his nerves and emotions were too close to the surface for him to feel comfortable. “Indeed, they are nice enough.” Was all he could manage to say, glancing back at Dreamfeather as she admitted that the moors were although lovely, she much preferred her forest. Oh, but of course. He thought coldly, the tip of his twitching with further irritation. If he didn’t calm himself, his fur would be the next to prickle.

As Dreamfeather mentioned the patrols were just fine, he couldn’t help the snort that left his nostrils. Patrols were running just fine and yet she couldn’t even attend one to at least speak to him. Ears twitched back towards Quiethawk as he caught the snicker from his friend, shooting the Tom a sharp look. “I care for my friends.” He meowed in a tart tone, before looking away from the Tom to look back at Dreamfeather as she mentioned that she had been recovering from injuries. Eyebrows furrowed in confusion as he watched her expression, trying to see if she could possibly be lying. This struck a cord within his heart as he looked away from her brief to stare at a bush; his mind racing a mile a minute. She had been injured this whole time, and yet here he was believing Softglow. “I-I saw Softglow a time or two. She mentioned you were not interested in having friends across borders.” He spoke carefully, trying to use his words carefully. Softglow had been so… believable when she told him that Dreamfeather didn’t want to see him anymore.

Eveningstorm was even more surprised when she paused in mid-sentence, having to close her eyes in order to gather her bearings. What had happened? He wondered worriedly, but it wasn’t his business anymore. Tongue slowly roaming over his dry lips as he gave a hesitant smile. “That is unfortunate.” He meowed, ear twitching with unease  as he finally looked away from Dreamfeather, gazing a small sapling behind her.

Pheebs
    Participant

Quiethawk drew inward, once more watching the exchange of words and the behavior of both felines. He bit back sharp words many times, words that would’ve cut and stabbed at both cats without prejudice, though would’ve been aimed mostly at Dreamfeather. He turned to stare at the grass beneath his paws, surprised to find it completely unclawed when he was certain it would’ve been crushed and torn by his constant shifting. Quiethawk didn’t move when he was upset, though. No, he became a mountain, still and unmovable as it was slowly weathered away and beaten by harsh winds and merciless rain.

“How long have you two known each other?” The tabby looked up, tilting towards the larger tom. “Eveningstorm and I have known each other a bit, but up until recently we’ve really started spending some time with the other.” The wiry warrior chuckled, “Startledcrow is to be thanked for that, I suppose.” Quiethawk wondered briefly when he and Eveningstorm had stopped being acquaintances and really started to look at the other and speak to one another. Honestly, it probably was Startledcrow constantly having to make sure Quiethawk wasn’t hurting himself and Everningstorm, being Startledcrow’s brother, happening to be there the many times the medicine cat had given Quiet a check-up.

“I’m accident prone and, ‘risk to my own continued existence’.” Those were roughly Startledcrow’s words the last time Quiethawk had gotten hurt… Maybe. It constantly changed, but the meaning was always the same: “You’re an idiot and have no survival instincts.” “I’m guessing you got injured or are recovering from some type of illness, yes?” Quiethawk was ready and willing to pounce on Dreamfeather’s slight hesitation, the way she wobbled a clear indication something was wrong. Concussion, maybe. Starclan knows Quiet had gotten enough concussions himself to know what it looks (and felt) like. 

Hareflight [Mel]
    Participant

Anger flashed in Dreamfeather’s eyes for a moment as Eveningstorm mentioned what Softglow had said, and her tail wrapped tightly around her paws in a comforting motion. She had probably thought it would be best at the time, especially while Dreamfeather had been so far from her usual self, but even then… Without consulting her? As Quiethawk began to speak, her ears swiveled to him and she zoned back into the conversation, all thoughts of her sister going to the back of her mind. “Oh, we’ve known each other… Quite a few moons now, haven’t we, Eveningstorm?” She asked, offering a soft smile. Although she didn’t quite trust her memory on just how long that had been, she knew she felt a comfort with him that was more than just a moon or two – usually at least; this situation was a little bit different. 

As he spoke how much time the two of them had been spending with one another, something clicked in the back of her mind, and Dreamfeather’s eyes snapped to Eveningstorm, as if searching for the answer to her unspoken question. He’s moved on. This was her creeping realization, but she tried to ignore it, licking her lips uncomfortably. At his comment about being accident prone, Dreamfeather cracked a smile, but it was stiff and didn’t quite reach the rest of her face. 

Yes,” she admitted, clearing her throat. “I..  uh. Well, I got a concussion from the battle with RiverClan and so.. I’ve been out-of-service for a while, so to speak.” Dreamfeather said, one ear flicking dismissively. “No big deal.” Her eyes finally broke from watching the two toms and she looked down at her paws, shuffling them softly in the grass. After a few moments of staying silent, she spoke once more to Eveningstorm, though did not look up at him. “I never wanted to stop being your.. friend. If I’d have known…” Her ears swiveled back slightly and she sighed. “I’m just sorry that I never got to let you know what was going on. I really didn’t mean to leave you hanging, Eveningstorm.” Feeling suddenly as though she was the punchline in some big joke, she glanced up at the two toms, lips pursing. She had clearly hurt him, and she didn’t want to do that again. If he really was interested in Quiethawk… Well, she’d just missed out then, hadn’t she? 

Feared
    Participant

He had no idea what was going on between Quiethawk and Dreamfeather as they waged each other, causing an eyebrow to arch along his handsome face as his eyes flickered back and forth between the two felines. What was Quiethawk implying? Of course, they had been spending a lot of time together because Quiethawk was his best friend. Or was there more to it? His heart fluttered at the thought of being more to Quiethawk, but he had never considered being a Tom before and wasn’t sure if he was ready to consider being with Quiethawk. Not with Dreamfeather standing in front of them. He blinked as he noticed that Quiethawk had moved just a little closer to him, but he couldn’t find it within him to move away as he then shrugged to Quiethawk’s question while his dark gaze found Dreamfeathers. “We known each other for a while, yes.” He confirmed her question, although his ears fell flat against his head as she couldn’t seemed to remember how long they had known each other. His throat tightened slightly as he noticed the sharp look that Dreamfeather was giving him. He understood her expression.

Had he moved on from Dreamfeather? And with who? He wondered silently before he noticed that she looked sharply towards Quiethawk. Oh, no he’s my friend. He thought in a rushed way, but he felt like that was entirely truthful. Ears stood up as Dreamfeather spoke, his eyebrows furrowing deeply while a heavy frown hung on his muzzle. She had been so sick and he hadn’t even known, had no other way of knowing beside Softglow and she had pretty told him that Dreamfeather didn’t want to be his mate anymore. While Dreamfeather had been recovering, his heart had been recovering. Slowly he breathed in deeply through his nostrils, eyeing the she-cat for a moment longer. “What’s done… is done, Dreamfeather. I’m sorry about what happened to you, Softglow didn’t explain that you were hurt.” He said before he looked towards Quiethawk and sighed for a moment before looking towards the she-cat once more. “I would still like to be your friend, but I’m afraid that I’ve found someone else.” He finally meowed, ignoring the subtle hints the two cats were using in the presence of Quiethawk. Grunting as he stood up and turned away from Dreamfeather, his ears flat against his head as he began to walk away from the border.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums ThunderClan ThunderClan Territory Berry Flats Aching Hearts and Broken Dreams (Dream, Evening, + Quiet)