Skip to toolbar

Accidents Are Not Accidents – Junco/Tiger [closed]

Forums ShadowClan ShadowClan Territory Tall Pines Accidents Are Not Accidents – Junco/Tiger [closed]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Juncoberry
    Participant

Juncoberry
    shadowclan deputy

Juncoberry was angry. He was furious, in fact. Immediately after informing Fearedjackal’s family of his death, he’d ducked back out of camp, not able to bear the pain on their faces any longer. He’d had to tell those poor kids that their dad was dead, and he hated it. Was he really cut out for all this? He couldn’t even amuse himself, couldn’t think of any way to numb the burning rage he felt bubbling in his belly. It wasn’t often he became angry to begin with, let alone angry enough to hold a grudge. He hated Smokestar and Oxhead in that moment. He hated them for leaving that poor tom to die alone, and he hated himself most of all. If only he hadn’t lost his focus; if only he had paid attention, maybe he could’ve prevented that warrior’s death.

He had run deep into the territory, ignoring the pain in his right forepaw and the sting of the wounds on his opposite shoulder. He’d gotten patched up just fine, and so had chosen to avoid camp and the cloud of misery that had settled over every-cat there. Juncoberry had gone into that encounter expecting injury. He had been prepared for some-cat to be wounded. He had never expected to watch some-cat die that day, much less in such an awful way. Tears streamed down his cheeks, his throat burning as he slowed his pace and fell to a lopsided trot. He’d come to the ThunderClan border, as if by instinct, and he looked out over the other side as he prayed silently that Tigershadow would appear. He was gasping, trying to catch his breath, and a weak whimper escaped his lips. Panting heavily, he felt his heart sink into the snow beneath him. Please, he begged silently, Please, please, please.

snow
    Participant

t i g e r s h a d o w

It was quite odd how often the tom took a stroll around midnight, his hefty white and brown paws leading him toward the border with ShadowClan. He found his dark green gaze searching the pine trees across from him, searching for any enemies– except Juncoberry of course. The sassy ShadowClan deputy had left an imprint on the ThunderClan warrior’s heart, and it had begun to interfere with his duties. Prey had jumped out of his paws, he’d trotted into Cinderjay on more than one occasion, and even Wildstar was taking notice of his lack of attention. What, some she-cat got your heart? his denmates teased, only earning a confused and angry hiss from Tigershadow. Couldn’t he just be friends with the gray tom? Though as time wore on, the warrior grew increasingly more nervous of himself, unsure of his own feelings as well as his companions. 

He shifted on his heels after waiting for quite some time, whiskers quivering with clear disappointment. Was he really that dejected about not seeing the deputy tonight? His paws prickled with uncertainty as he thought about Juncoberry, wishing he could come to terms with himself. His unhappiness in ThunderClan was driving him right to the gray tom, and making himself more confused as the days continued on. Suddenly he heard a snap, and his head snapped around, green eyes moving over the familiar shape of his friend. Excitement surged through his paws, but quickly shifted to fear as he recognized the somber mood he was in. “Juncoberry?” he murmured softly, padding closer. When his friend came into view, the tabby tom simply slithered to his side, touching his nose gently to his muzzle in a kind greeting.

Juncoberry
    Participant

Juncoberry
    shadowclan deputy

And then there he was. Tigershadow crossed the border, coming straight to him. The grey-spattered tom leaned into his friend’s touch, melting into him as he willed his paws to stop trembling. He was silent a moment, before suddenly speaking up and spilling everything that was on his mind. “I hate them,” he vented, “Do you know what they did?” Of course Tigershadow didn’t. He wouldn’t have had to explain as much if he’d gone to Ravenbones, he knew, but his friend within ShadowClan likely wouldn’t have understood his feelings as much. He’d never been very open to these things. “We chased a bear out of our territory,” he explained, “But then Fearedjackal got attacked by it. And Smokestar and Oxhead just left him there. They were just gonna let him die alone, Tigershadow!” 

He shook his head, looking dumbfounded. “He was still alive, but they just left him alone. They were gonna leave him there to suffer all by himself. Can you imagine how scary that must’ve been?” His voice was tense, his posture tight. Juncoberry never really had to deal with such strong emotions, and he was finding himself overwhelmed. “I don’t think I can do this,” he suddenly admitted. “I’ve been deputy for, what, a moon? And already one of my warriors is dead.” He looked lost, turning his eyes down at his paws. He fell silent, focusing on steadying his breath. “I had to tell his kits…” he finally whispered, his lower lip trembling.

snow
    Participant

t i g e r s h a d o w

The trembling that ravaged Juncoberry’s body almost made the brown tabby stumble, though he kept a steady posture. His green gaze narrowed as he listened, the pain raw in the gray tom’s throat as he described the bear attack. Tigershadow suppressed a shudder, not wanting to imagine his own paws in that position. He paused for a moment, pondering on how to respond. Juncoberry’s state seemed fragile, so turning this into a joke didn’t seem like a good idea. Whew, I’m glad I remembered that! he thought grimly.

He took a deep breath before he met Juncoberry’s tired, upset gaze, his own unwavering and steady. “You can’t change what happened,” he murmured comfortingly, brushing his thick tail down the toms flank. “I’m sorry to hear about Fearedjackal, but you can’t blame the others for what happened. If you had all gone back, would the bear have killed you all? Instead of losing a warrior, your clan could’ve lost their leader and deputy, as well as two warriors.” He shifted his sight to the forest, taking in the tangy scent of the pines and the cool, crisp breeze that billowed past. It had been a difficult leaf-bare for all the clans, he’d realized. With so many changes in leadership and the terrible things happening in each clan, it made the ThunderClan tom’s fur crawl.

“Don’t say you aren’t fit to be deputy,” he huffed suddenly, whirling around to stare at his face. “You’ve been a blessing to ShadowClan, no cat can deny that. But with leadership comes power and responsibility, as well as difficult decisions. I’m sure it killed Smokestar just as much as it’s killing you right now..” he trailed off, hoping he’d helped ease the wound yet also provide some insight to the situation. 

Juncoberry
    Participant

Juncoberry
    shadowclan deputy

The tom shook his head. He knew that Tigershadow was right, but he wasn’t ready to let go of his resentment. The pain was still fresh, the image of that poor tom still burned in the backs of his eyelids. He felt that familiar guilt weighing him down, the same feeling he’d felt the day Acornbelly had died. He couldn’t bring himself to admit this to his friend, however, for fear he’d see him differently if he said anything. Instead, he took a deep, steadying breath, turning his eyes back to Tigershadow. “You’re right,” he admitted, “But it’s still wrong to let some-cat suffer alone. They should’ve done more for him.” He looked away then, his pride wounded in his admission. 

Juncoberry flinched as his friend rounded on him, suddenly berating him for suggesting he wasn’t cut out for deputy. “I’m a blessing to every-cat who knows me,” he responded, without the typical airy vainness such comments from him held. “But I swear by StarClan no-cat is going to die like that again– not if I’m around. I’m deputy; I was supposed to keep them safe; I’m responsible for them, and now he’s dead.” He turned stubborn eyes on the other tom once more, his brows furrowed and his jaw clenched. “Smokestar is just as responsible for it as I am. But I made sure he wasn’t alone when he took his last breath. She failed him there. And I will never forgive her for that; he died protecting every-cat in ShadowClan, and then his leader just left him bleeding in the snow. That can’t be forgiven.”

snow
    Participant

t i g e r s h a d o w

He nodded thoughtfully, allowed Juncoberry to rant as much as his heart needed. The raw pain and grief in his voice told Tigershadow everything he needed to know. He figured allowing the deputy to vent out his frustrations would be better than him interjecting constantly. Once he’d finished, standing there with almost pleading eyes, the ThunderClan warrior slowly shook his head, feeling helpless. “I’m sorry I can’t do anything to help you,” he whispered softly, his paws itching to club Smokestar over the head. It was a double-edged sword, and it had impaled not only the dead tom but his clanmates as well.

He swished his tail tip along the gray tom’s spine, green gaze clouded as he stared across at the pine trees. Would they feel as comforting as the towering oaks overhead? Something about the spiny needles made his belly lurch; what could be lurking in the shadows? The dark brown tabby always seemed concerned with being caught on the wrong side of the border. Luckily, no cat had reported ShadowClan scent on their side of the markers, but how long would they be so lucky? “Just know that there wasn’t an ideal outcome in that situation,” he mewed, his voice sounding stronger than it had before. “It wasn’t going to be pretty no matter what. I think that warrants some thought.” He fixed him with a somber gaze, hoping he would understand.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums ShadowClan ShadowClan Territory Tall Pines Accidents Are Not Accidents – Junco/Tiger [closed]