A Quick Break (Brook&Forest) [CLOSED]

Forums WindClan WindClan Territory A Quick Break (Brook&Forest) [CLOSED]

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Wolfstar
    Participant

The moors were still and silent. No birds chirped, no mice scrounged in the gorse bushes, and there ceased to be any rabbits bouncing around with their ears sticking straight up for sounds of predators. The only sign of life at the moment was a flash of silver and white fur padding quietly over the hills, barely disturbing the snow-covered territory. Brookflower’s paws moved through the snow quietly, her paws leaving hardly a trace. WindClan cats were known to be light on their feet, careful not to disturb their prey that had the advantage of sight. Other than bushes, the moors didn’t provide much cover, so they learned to adapt. Brookflower was an excellent hunter, and she glided over the hill with ease and without a trace. Her yellow eyes set at the winding river ahead of her, her muscles rippling as she bounded towards it. She had been on a solo hunting mission and managed to catch a rabbit which was now buried not too far from where she was. But nature called and she was thirsty, which made living by a river easy. 

A sudden flap of wings surprise Brookflower, making her heart thump in her chest just a little faster as a red grouse squalled and ran away from her. Now it’s going to alert all the prey around here. Just what she needed. With an eye roll, she ignored the fat bird and stopped at the water’s edge, staring at her reflection through the surface. The top of her forehead and two ears were the same silver that striped along her entire body, but her cheeks and muzzle were as white as the snow. Like the flowers that bloomed on the gorse bushes, her yellow eyes gleamed with content and calm, matching how she felt being out and about on her own. Hunting with others wasn’t as much fun; they could mess up the hunt so easily. With a twitch of her clear whiskers, Brookflower leaned down and began lapping at the water, swallowing the ice-cold water to soothe her throat. 

Hornetstar
    Participant

FORESTMASK.

ShadowClan had finally left, but instead of things returning to normal, they had only somehow gotten worse. That less than savory ThunderClan deputy’s scent had been found on the border, and his mother’s attempts at peacefully resolving any issues had ended less than peacefully. He knew it wasn’t ThunderClan’s fault, just that slimy Sootstain’s, but it still rubbed him the wrong way. Now they were all dragged into meaningless fighting, after they all had just went through the storm fiasco. Forestmask hated this suspense, feeling like he was always waiting for the next whisker to drop. It didn’t help that… That someone very dear to him was a snake. They had shattered his trust in them at the battle with ThunderClan, and the only one he could bring himself to tell was Heronflight. It wasn’t fair to place the burden on the already busy deputy’s shoulders, but Forestmask hadn’t known who else to tell. Not his family, and especially not his mother.

With a sigh the brown tabby limped along, pushing through the burning in his shoulder to make his way to the river. He was going to have a beautiful scar, if not some permanent damage to the muscle beneath. What a reminder of what, of who, had caused him all this anguish, mentally and physically. He needed to fish, even if the last thing he should probably be doing was heading into a river with his injury.

When he made it to the river he slipped in without hesitation, the refreshing coolness washing over him like a soothing blanket. He took a moment to enjoy the feeling of the water flowing around him before slipping under and to the very bottom, opening his eyes to try and spot any fish. One was darting by just at that moment, and he surged forwards with open jaws to clamp it in a vice-like grip in his mouth. Gently he floated back to the surface, eyes squeezed shut as he broke back into glorious air. Imagine his surprise when his nose bumped against another, green eyes flying open as he met a silver and white she-cat’s golden eyes.

Wolfstar
    Participant

Brookflower swallowed the little bit of water her tongue daintily lapped up, her ears swiveling to listen for sounds behind her. The best time to sneak up on someone was when they were in the middle of drinking or eating. What she wasn’t prepared for was when something touched her nose from underneath the water, and her yellow eyes flew open to meet they eyesight of another. Just for a second, she held her position. Not just out of confusion as to what just happened, but the green eyes looked slightly familiar and just as startled as she. Brookflower quickly snapped her head up, water droplets flinging from her nose and onto the shore. “Wh-What are you doing?” she demanded, taking a few steps back, the fur along her spine prickling. 

It didn’t take long for her to realize why the tomcat looked so familiar. The green eyes belonged to a brown tabby pelt, which then belonged to the body of Forestmask. Brookflower didn’t know much about the RiverClan tom, but she had seen him at Gatherings several times. Hearing about RiverClan cat’s swimming was different than seeing them. How could someone enjoy the feel of their pelt getting wet like that? She shivered at the thought of the chilly water soaking through her fur and onto her skin, despite herself being part RiverClan. Her father, Wolfstar, knew how to swim almost as well as their fish-smelling neighbors, but he didn’t teach any of his kits how. “You must be freezing! It’s leafbare, for StarClan’s sake. And why are you sneaking up on me?” Her voice, smooth like honey, wavered a little at her last question. It didn’t look like there were other’s nearby, but they could be hiding underneath that frigid water, couldn’t they?

Hornetstar
    Participant

FORESTMASK.

He would have snorted, if there wasn’t risk of water flooding up his nose. What did it look like he was doing? He had been submerged in water, and appeared with a fish hanging from his jaws! Fishing, duh. The brown tabby merely wrinkled his nose at here though, taking the opportunity to slip from the water and onto the shore as Brookflower stumbled back. He faintly recalled her from the time half of RiverClan and all of WindClan had been stuck in ThunderClan, seeking shelter from the rising floodwaters during that terrible storm. They hadn’t even talked much, but something about her made her unforgettable.

Dropping the fish at his paws, he made sure it wasn’t going to wriggle away and back into the water before turning his attention on his new found company. His body language was relaxed and open, gentle grin on his ruggedly handsome features. “All my blubber keeps me warm,” he chuckled, though he was far from fat. “I didn’t mean ta frighten ya. I was fishin’ and didn’t expect no one ta be on tha bank, ya know? Sorry ’bout that.” Though it was amusing he had surprised her, he was clearly, genuinely sorry. She could have fallen in and drowned if she had been surprised any worse.

“I’m Forestmask. Yer Brookflower, yeah? I kinda remember ya from the party we all had at ThunderClan,” he greeted her, charm shining through as he worked to make the situation comfortable and avoid any possible hostility or tension that might arise. Just because they were from different Clans didn’t mean they couldn’t be civil, didn’t mean they couldn’t chat, didn’t mean this encounter had to end in fluffed fur and maybe even blood. RiverClan’s current… Dilemma was with ThunderClan, and ThunderClan alone. Even then, he wouldn’t want to be fighting this she-cat if she was ThunderClan.

Wolfstar
    Participant

If there was one thing about this tom she knew for sure, it was he didn’t have any blubber on his body whatsoever. His build was that of a typical RiverClanner; muscular. It was a nice change to see on a cat since most of her Clanmates were skinny and lithe. Brookflower blinked at the brown tabby and watched him pull himself out of the water and onto shore, water dripping from his fur and onto the snowy ground. Just looking at him made her feel so much colder. Her eyes narrowed and she tilted her chin up slightly. “You didn’t frighten me. I was just…taken by surprise.” The right side of her mouth lifted up into a smirk, her yellow eyes twinkling. 

Brookflower’s tail tip twitched with surprise. She had seen him around, but didn’t remember ever speaking him, and he knew her by name? She couldn’t help but take that as a compliment since she truly believed she was the most forgettable of Wolfstar’s kits. She tended to keep to herself, hanging in the back of a crowd and never speaking out of turn. “It’s nice to see you again,” she found herself saying. Her eyes traveled to the silvery fish he had caught, her nose wanting to wrinkle at the smell that wafted from it. “I guess it was sort of a party, wasn’t it? Too many different cats in one place created some heated moments, and none of them good.” 

Finally moving from where she stood, she twisted her body around to pad around Forestmask, the smirk still planted on her face. “Aren’t you nervous being on enemy territory? You swam up here so easily and so confident. Do you pop over another Clan’s border often?” She truly wasn’t upset, but she wanted to see what this brown tabby had to say for himself. Why did he climb onto her side of the shore like he was comfortable with it? 

Hornetstar
    Participant

FORESTMASK.

The tom chuckled at Brookflower’s wit, it being obvious he wasn’t laughing at her. “Ah yes, a’course,” he agreed easily, smiling back at her. His was more of a smile than an actual smirk, but it could easily change into one. It turned positively beaming when she spoke of enjoying getting to see him again. “Jus’ see me, or be ’round me? Golly, don’t tell me ya just snuck all tha way out here to meet lil’ ol’ me simply for my handsome looks?” He feigned being hurt, sighing dramatically.

“Well, least there weren’t any actual fights,” he offered, flashing back to the fun time they’d had at ThunderClan. Having his family split up like that had driven him crazy. He knew all his siblings were perfectly capable of taking care of themselves, but being able to go running right to them if they needed the help… Well, he liked the assurance that offered him. Forestmask watched as she rose, somehow managing to maintain his relaxed posture as she circled him like a juicy piece of prey.

Though she had perfectly valid points, he found her questions silly. If she had been going to attack, she would have done it when he was in the water and at a clear disadvantage. Besides, though he was on WindClan’s territory, he wasn’t hunting or disfiguring it in anyway. He was keeping his paws to himself and giving off no signals off ill will. “You woulda attacked me by now if ya wanted me gone,” he stated, raising an eyebrow at her. 

Wolfstar
    Participant

Brookflower tried her best to not smile back at him, finding his own smile was contagious. Her eyes flickered away from his face so she could keep up her facade, continuing to circle him. “Well, you’re lucky my father isn’t with me. Wolfstar doesn’t like when strangers stroll onto his territory for no reason.” Truthfully, Wolfstar would have most likely glared at Forestmask until the brown tabby would get uncomfortable and go away on his own, but she decided not to share that. After a few more paces, she stopped in front of him, the tip of her long tail curling as she eyed the fish he had dropped at his paws. The scales glimmered underneath the sun, making it look as if it were still moving. A few droplets of water fell from Forestmask’s drenched coat and onto the fish. “What do they taste like?” she inquired, pointing to the dead fish with her paw.

She should shoo him away by threatening to attack if he didn’t get off their property straight away, but what was the fun in that? The fur along her spine relaxed completely and she sat down in front of him, her expression now open as she felt at ease. Forestmask didn’t look malicious, and she couldn’t help but feel curious at who this tom was and why he didn’t leave immediately. Her white-tipped tail wrapped around her body and rested on her paws delicately. “And how hard is it to catch them?” Brookflower couldn’t imagine jumping in the water and splashing around until finally clawing one out. She almost shuddered at the thought, grateful she had been born in WindClan where her lithe body was put to good use chasing after the skinny rabbits.

Hornetstar
    Participant

FORESTMASK.

Ah yes, the ever peaceful Wolfstar – somehow, Forestmask doubted he should be worried about the old tom. Though he was a leader and age didn’t make the old tom any less dangerous, he just didn’t seem to have a truly mean bone in his body. Not to mean Forestmask doubted his ability to protect and lead his Clan, but… Whatever, he should focus on the she-cat at paw and not possible scenarios. “Fish?” He wondered, sounding truly perplexed. She had never tasted fish before? That was honestly crazy.

Lifting a large paw up, he glanced at the scaly creature before nudging it towards her. Any other warrior would have never thought of sharing the fish with her, but fish wasn’t RiverClan’s sole source of prey. Besides, right now, fish was probably their most abundant source of prey. No one back at camp was starving, and knowing that, he felt less guilty sharing. He’d catch something else before returning. “They’re def’nitely not rabbit, that’s fer sure,” he warned her with a grin, patiently waiting to see if she was brave enough to take a bite or not.

“Well, er – It might be hard fer you, since ya weren’t RiverClan born ‘nd raise? But I think it’s pretty darn easy myself. Jus’ depends on if ya like shore fishin’ or divin’ in. I don’ care much either way,” he explained, shrugging his shoulder that wasn’t hurt. The last thing he wanted to do was tear the scabs on the wound on his other shoulder and have to visit Rainysky again. Though the grey tabby seemed nice and understanding, Forestmask didn’t want to be a bother. “I… I could maybe teach ya?”

Wolfstar
    Participant

Brookflower watched the expressions change on Forestmask’s face go from shocked to thoughtful. The small tufts of grass that stuck out of the snow around them made his green eyes pop, and his eyebrows furrowed just slightly, forcing those green eyes to narrow a little. He sounded different from other RiverClan cat’s she had met, but she didn’t question him about it. Honestly, she quite liked the sound of his deep voice and its fluctuations, following along smoothly as he spoke about fishing and how it wasn’t too difficult for him. Brookflower turned her attention to the fish that he pushed towards her, its scaly body still glistening from the water. Her nose wrinkled, and one of her brows raised up questioningly. “I’m not sure I want to try it. If it taste’s as bad as it smells… I mean it can’t be that bad if a whole Clan eats it, right?” She wasn’t exactly talking to Forestmask, but instead trying to convince herself to not be a scaredy mouse. Brookflower satisfyingly remembered that no patrols were planned to head their way anytime soon, so no one would ever know. Besides, how often did someone get the chance to do something different without the rest of their Clanmate’s knowing?

Without anymore hesitation, she leaned forward and took a small bite from the fish’s belly. She held it in her mouth for a bit, trying to get the true flavor of the soft, white meat. It was fresh, and tasted like she believed the river would. It wasn’t horrible, but it wasn’t the best either. Brookflower swallowed. “I guess I can see how one might like it if it’s something they grew up with.”

The silver-and-white she-cat widened her eyes at his offer to teach her to swim. “You mean you want me to get in the water and get my coat wet? During leafbare?” She chuckled with disbelief, and inched closer to the riverbank, dipping one of her white paws into the icy water. It sent shivers down her spine. 

Hornetstar
    Participant

FORESTMASK.

His whiskers twitched with silent amusement as he sat and patiently listened to her reason herself into even taking a bite of the fish, pleasantly surprised she actually wanted to try any – even if she had to give herself a pep talk before paw. He was even more pleased when she did take a bite, and actually chew and swallow it. At least she wasn’t so dramatic she felt the need to spit it back out, if she hadn’t liked it. Though judging by her reaction, even if she hadn’t liked it, it clearly wasn’t so terrible she couldn’t even stand the taste. “Pro’ly how I’d feel ’bout eatin’ a rabbit,” he hummed in agreement, smiling brightly at her.

Fish forgotten, he turned his attention upon the water as she lightly dipped a paw into it. Yes, it probably was cold for those not used to swimming in it at all… “Well maybe not quite yet then, huh? We could wait till it starts warmin’ up more, if ya really do wanna learn,” he purred in amusement, climbing to his paws. Playfully he shoved a shoulder against hers, as if he was going to push her into the water, though the shove wasn’t even hard enough to budge her. “Ya don’t get pudge like me, so ya’d pro’ly freeze.”

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums WindClan WindClan Territory A Quick Break (Brook&Forest) [CLOSED]