A haughty spirit before a fall.

Forums ThunderClan ThunderClan Camp ThunderClan Apprentices’ Den A haughty spirit before a fall.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Chris
    Participant

It had been a hell of a day, Hawkpaw remarked as his limped painfully into the Apprentices den where Chanterellepaw’s parents had told him he would find her. Doubtless, assuming she wasn’t deaf, she had heard the commotion that had taken place in the clearing.

“Your daughter is smarter than the both of you put together! She deserves better parents!”

The words, amid many others, rang in his head sounding stupider each loop. He wished he’d really let them have it, but at the time he’d been so engulfed in fury that his finer insults had deserted him. Leaving only raw petulance as his weapon. Still, he’d gotten his point across and that was what truly mattered. He didn’t care if they gave him Elder duties until he became an Elder, he’d sooner swallow thorns than take back his words. He’d meant every one of them, and as soon as he’d spun on his heel to go and await the verdict for his behaviour he’d known at once what he must do next. Hell, he felt a fool for not knowing it sooner. A week and a half had passed since their argument, and the heaviness encircling his heart was only matched by the dull pain of his healing wound.

“Chanterellepaw-” He began, without realizing that while he was dead center on what he wished to convey he was less sure about how to convey it. But he felt he had to act fast, she had no reason to ever want to speak to him again and he hardly blamed her for it. “I want to talk. You don’t have to talk back, just, listen please.” It was probably the first time he’d ever uttered such a phrase. The words of remorse tasted foreign on his tongue.

“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have yelled at you like that, I was being an idiot. I can’t expect you to know my family’s stuff, I mean, I don’t exactly know yours. But you didn’t do that stuff to me, so you don’t deserve to get yelled at for it.” Although now he held a vague idea of her baggage. It was that that had prompted him to realize what a self-centered cur he’d been about the whole thing. “You saved my life and I yelled at you. We don’t have to be friends, I’ve treated you like dirt. But I want you to know I’m sorry for it.” He finally allowed himself to meet her gaze when he was finished, those beautiful crystal clear pools that seemed to pierce him. He felt exposed before them, suddenly aware of just how much of his crap she’d been seeing through this whole time. She was just trying to help. And look how I repaid her.

He still disagreed with her methods, but her aim had been true. He refused to find fault in that. Who was he to judge after everything he’d done?

Roach
    Participant

Chanterellepaw ~ Thunderclan Apprentice

A soft defeated sigh escapes her as she makes her way toward the apprentice den. She did not want to be bothered, especially after the fight she had with Hawkpaw about week and a half prior. She did not know why, but fighting with the gruff and stubborn tom had really brought down her mood. Maybe it was because she still felt jealousy tugging at her heart strings, an aching reminder that her parents coldness and disregards they held towards her. In their eye, she would never mound to anything, nothing could compare to Rowanclaw, the perfect child. Clenching her jaw as she felt anger prickling within her, like static from lightning just waiting to be released. Nostrils flaring as sadly her destination had been cut short when her lovely parents appeared before her. Ears flattening subconsciously against her skull as she eyes them warily, their expressions blank, except for the scorn permanently painted on Cherrypatch’s maw. In Chanterellepaw’s opinion, her mothers wrath was far more fearsome than her fathers; Reedtail. While her father seemed to careless about her and often ignored her existence, Cherrypatch in the other hand always loved to point out the young cherry brown bengal’s flaws at any chance she could get.

Swallowing salvia that had built up in her throat as she stares nervously at her parents. Paws twitching as she itched to leave, to run to the confinements of her den, but she knew that was the cowards way out. Chant was not a coward, she had faced a fox, and was standing here today to tell the tale. She just had to keep reminding herself of what she had accomplished, she risked her life to save Hawkpaw, she had shown her worth as a future warrior. Licking her chapped lips as she gives a small smile towards them, “Yes mother? Father?” She politely questions. It would seem that her words caused them mental pain as they flinched at the words; mother and father. As if the mere two words burnt them. A thick silence followed for several minutes, her resolve slowly chipping away. Anxiety was slowly building up, ready to explode for some form of release as she awaited for the scorn that was bound to follow. Her mother was the one to break the silence, “What’s this about a fox?! How many times have I told you to stay out of trouble?! Why can’t you be more like Rowanclaw?” Ah there it was, the verbal blow.

Staring at the two older warriors that were her parents, sadness swirling with her cyan orbs. Chest aching, cheeks flushing as she felt curious eyes on her form, ‘why can’t others mind their own business?!’ She complained. There was so much she wanted to say, so much, and yet she remained silent. What could she say? What could she do to change their perspective of how they perceive her. Nothing. Nothing could make them see her as what she was; their daughter. All she was to them was a burden that couldn’t do the simplest of things right. Even if she argued that the fox had attacked Hawkpaw and herself first, what she did was self-defense; would more than likely go in one ear and out the other. Choking down her rebuttal with distaste, “I’m sorry it won’t happen again” she weakly replied. Her gaze now glued to her cream paws, ignoring the tears of embarrassment and anger welling up in her piercing blue eyes. Not even waiting for confirmation of her dismal, her paws move on their own. Dashing away as she slips gracefully into the apprentice den. Chest heaving with emotion as she was glad that she was alone.

Quickly moving toward her nest in the far corner, covered in the shadows, a reassuring blanket. Plopping face down, breathing in the calming scents of vanilla and chai tea. Few sniffles could be heard in the silent den, ears perking as she could hear an argument out in the clearing. Lifting her head in confusion as she could only make out bits and pieces, eyes widening at the familiar voice of Hawkpaw. Was he sticking up for her? Why? Brows furrowing in confusion. Her mind fogging you with possibilities swirling, so lost in her thoughts, she did not hear Hawkpaw enter and approach her until his smooth voice echoed within the temporary secluded den. Keeping her head down, avoiding eye contact, though she did give a subtle nod to let him know that she would listen. Closing her eyes tightly, biting her lip as she takes in what he was saying carefully. Slowly she lifts her head up, Hawkpaw was too absorbed in speaking and avoiding looking at her to notice that she was now fully looking at him.

Her cloudy gaze solely focused on him as he apologizes, something that astonished her, but warmed her heart at the same time. Sniffling once more, causing his attention to draw to her. “I know I went too far…I just hate that you push your father away. I would give anything for mine to care for me the way Cedarsmoke cares for you” she admitted with another soft sniffle. Rising to her paws and moving closer to Hawkpaw. Rolling her eyes as she presses her pelt against his, her head tucked under his chin, resting slightly on his shoulder as she gives him a hug. “I’m sorry too, why don’t we just start over?” She whispered softly, not wanting to disturb the calming silence around them.

Chris
    Participant

Hawkpaw’s ink-black body, which had previously been tensed like a coiled spring, melted as his apology found acceptance with her. He didn’t know what he’d been expecting really, this was all so new to him. But knowing they were right again was a good feeling, he decided. It was like stepping into cool refreshing water. A bit of a shock at first, but cleansing in the end.

“Your parents are jerks.” He grunted. As she laid herself against him he flinched slightly, but seemed to accept it as he once more loosened up his muscles and let himself press against her sweet smelling ruddy pelt. Up close he could see the delicate details in her richly colored rosettes, and for a moment he was lost in them.

“Yeah…we can. Friends?” He twisted his head away to look permissively at her face.

“And about my dad….” The tom paused. “I know he says he cares. But I haven’t seen him since I was a kit and I’d just opened my eyes. When my sisters-” He began to cut himself short again, but then with a strange expression he pressed onward. “When my sisters were still alive. A lot’s happened since then, he doesn’t know me. I….I’m just not ready…..I don’t want…” He floundered for words, without his thorny mask he was groping in the dark through unfamiliar territory. But he wasn’t alone.

He wasn’t alone.

Roach
    Participant

’What was I thinking?! Hugging him!’ She mentally panicked. She had acted on impulse when she hugged him, but now that she had gained some of her senses, she was regretting her actions. She knew that physical contact would be too much, too overwhelming for the black tom, so it surprised her when she felt his stiff form relax into her. Blinking in surprise before a gentle smile appears on her lips, glad he couldn’t see her face at this moment. The strong and calming musky scent of Hawkpaw put her raging nerves at ease. Laughing quietly at his blunt statement in regards to her parents. “Oh I know” she hummed. Closing her eyes for a moment as she enjoys the warmth radiating from his tall form. With a soft sigh, Chanterelle reluctantly pulls away, not wanting to make the situation awkward.

Letting her blue gaze wander over him, taking in the simplest of details, from his dark black pelt to the scars that lingered on his form. Yet, when her eyes connected with his amber, did she realize that maybe he had scars on the inside as well. Giving him a smile as she judges him playfully, “Friends” she agreed. It felt weird, and oddly satisfying to say those words. Chanterellepaw finally had someone that she could call a friend, someone she could vent to and rely on. At least until he becomes a warrior and leaves Thunderclan. Her smile slips from her lips as he brings up the subject of his father. Tilting her wedge cranium as she patiently waits for him to sort out his words.

“Hey it’s okay…you don’t have to say anything. I know that whatever is going on that you and your father will have to work out on your own. I won’t pry” she tried to reassure, but it seemed that Hawkpaw had made up his mind. Laying her tail lightly on his paws, a soft look of empathy flickering in her gaze. “So Ocean and Lily were your sisters” she stated quietly. The petite bengal could see the toll it was taking on the tom before her. “I understand…it must be weird for you to be in a clan with your father. Someone you hardly know” Chant adds with a sigh. Nibbling on her lower lip as she leans against him once more to comfort him. “Just give it time. I’m sorry for jumping to conclusions and for pushing you to doing something that you are obviously not ready for” ears tilting backwards as she now felt embarrassed for her brash behavior almost two weeks ago.

Clearing her throat as she knew that he more than likely did not want to talk about it any longer. Looking down at his injured leg before speaking, “Are you even suppose to be out of the Medicine den yet?” Eyes narrowing suspiciously at Hawkpaw, wondering what he would he have to say about that.

Chris
    Participant

He gave a small, somewhat bashful shrug. “I wouldn’t mind if you pried a little bit sometimes. If it hadn’t been for you…..well. Thanks.” Chuckled the thin Apprentice wryly. Slowly but surely the immense anxiety of being known was ebbing away, carried downstream by her compassion. It was the most at peace he could remember feeling in a very long time.

“Well, Peachblossom said it’s just a bite, as long as I don’t overdo it I think it’ll be okay. I used to get hurt a lot worse when I was in the city. I saw cats get hit by….what do you call them, monsters? And get up like it was nothing.”  Said the Apprentice nonchalantly. Closing his eyes briefly as he remembered life there, so quick and so dangerous. So very different from the acceptance he felt in the small den.

Roach
    Participant

Sheepishly smiling back at him at his little statement. “I will keep that in mind” Chanterellepaw hummed with a flick of her tail. Hitting him lightly with her slim tail in the process. “Now don’t expect me to be any less hard on you than I was before. Just because we are friends does not mean you will get away with things easily” she added with a cheeky wink. Her tired blue gaze flickering around the den once more, the peaceful aura was starting to lull her to sleep.

Moving back to her nest, plopping down tiredly as she snuggles in. Looking back at Hawkpaw as he explains that his injury was not as severe as once perceived. “Well I think you should still take it easy for a few days. Everyone handles pain differently. I’m sure you aren’t one to walk it off like those you speak of” she teased. Course she knew that Hawkpaw could handle himself, but that didn’t mean she wouldn’t mess with him about it. “I don’t know about you, but today has drained me” she muttered as a yawn escapes her. Smacking her lips before gesturing to the nest next to hers. “You can sleep here if you would like, I didn’t think this one has been claimed yet” she says with a thoughtful look on her face.

Chris
    Participant

“And don’t think I’m gonna put up with anymore of that humbleness- especially now that we’re friends.” Countered the slender tom instantly. Yet his eyes gleamed with a fierce kindness and reverence.

“Oh thank StarClan- if I have to spend one more night in that herb-scented pit I’m going to become allergic to this entire forest.” Groaned Hawkpaw, settling down in the warm nest beside hers. It was a boon for him, as he was so unpopular that he’d only been afforded the scrappiest nest at the edge of the den. But everyone loved sweet little Chanterellepaw, with her wing over him he could get away with- well, perhaps murder was a joke in poor taste, given his status- but safe to say, a lot. To what end, he wasn’t sure. But the feeling was nice.

Roach
    Participant

Eyes drooping as she tries her best to keep them open. The redness in them was slowly fading from crying, but the heaviness was more prominent than ever. Everything from today had mentally and physically exhausted her and all she wanted was to sleep it off. Part of her wished it was a dream due to the confrontation she received from her parents, but another part of her was glad that it happened. If it hadn’t who knows that Hawkpaw and herself would have finally broken the ice and talked to one another. It felt weird yet welcoming to finally have a friend, even though she never thought she would befriend the broody apprentice. Sure, she was well liked with her peers, but that didn’t mean she had any close knit relationships with them, just acquaintances passing by. Nothing more.

Blinking her blue eyes as she tunes back into what Hawkpaw was saying. Smirking as she takes a big sniff of the air. Faking a look of disgust as she moves away mockingly. “Oof I think you already smell of herbs and the sick” she teased with a tired grin. Watching with amusement as he plops down with no care to the world in the nest beside her. Shifting more into her moss nest, clinging onto the warmth that it provided. Closing her eyes in bliss before opening one eye to look back at the comfortable looking black tom. “Goodnight Hawkpaw” her sweet voice muffled due to having her head tucked between her paws and the moss.  With that being said the tired cherry bengal finally closes her eyes. Within minutes her breathing evens out, indicating that she has drifted off into a peaceful sleep.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums ThunderClan ThunderClan Camp ThunderClan Apprentices’ Den A haughty spirit before a fall.