A Changed Life (Wild&Night) [CLOSED]

Forums WindClan WindClan Camp WindClan Medicine Den A Changed Life (Wild&Night) [CLOSED]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Wolfstar
    Participant

Wildpaw ~WindClan Apprentice~

Nightpaw! Nightpaw!

The Clan’s cheers rang in Wildpaw’s ears from within the medicine den. Nettlenose had asked him if he wanted to join them to watch the naming ceremony, but he had decided to stay back. How could they not see it was depressing for him to watch a Clanmate become an apprentice and continue their training when his life was ruined? He will never become a true warrior. Nettlenose’s words had been on replay in his mind ever since she told his parent’s of his fate. Sitting in the nest for days at a time made him bitter. All he did was go to sleep, wake up, stare at his permanently injured leg, and then fall back asleep once more. It was a repetitive life for him. 

Wildpaw lifted his head from the tops of his paws and looked out to the entrance. His head was turned slightly to the right to get the full view since his right eye was almost completely blind. The ceremony was over and he had expected Startledcrow and Nettlenose to come back into the den, his only good ear twitching to listen for their pawsteps, but there was nothing. The black-furred apprentice took this moment to try and lift himself up. Hesitantly, he reached over his mossy nest and placed his front paws on the ground. I can do this. I’ll show them that I can become a warrior just like the rest of them! Wildpaw lifted himself up into a standing position, his left hind leg shaking from the sudden weight. However, standing up wasn’t the hardest part, it was taking that first step. Startledcrow had bluntly told him he would never be able to walk on it properly, but what if the grumpy medicine cat was wrong? Wildpaw took a deep breath and took a step forward, putting an equal amount of weight on all four of his paws. 

He stumbled down. His back legs crumbled from beneath him and forced him to sit down, his left leg jabbing out from the rest of his body in an awkward position. “Fox dung!” He cursed, glaring at the leg that seemed to be the end of his dream! 

Shy
    Participant
    Nightpaw
    Apprentice of Windclan

The medicine cat den was as colorless and drab as the landscape had been outside. Though the heavy aroma of fresh herbs infused her with delight and familiarity, the den lacked its usual earthy warmth. Today it was dreary and forlorn with sombre greys. Nightpaw limped quietly through the sunless entrance, smiling briefly before looking around the corner for her dear friend. “Wildpaw?” she called out in hushed tones, wincing when she heard the unmistakable sound of a fall. Wildpaw.” Nightpaw scrambled to his side awkwardly, looking him over with gentle concern. Large, amber eyes glanced worriedly over his injuries, hoping he hadn’t reopened any. When she was sure that he hadn’t, she let out a slow controlled breath and attempted to loosen the muscles that had tensed along her body. The corners of her mouth curled down in disappointment. “What were you doing? You know that Startledcrow told you to take it easy. You’ll only aggravate your injuries more,” her voice rose only slightly in pitch, worry ensnaring her every word. A part of her desperately hoped he’d listen, but realistically, she knew he wouldn’t. Asking him to rest was like asking him to not be.. well, him.

Wolfstar
    Participant

Wildpaw had been so focused on standing up that he didn’t smell Nightpaw’s familiar scent as she padded inside. He looked at her with surprise when she came to his side, helping him sit back down comfortably on his mossy nest. He fought the urge to snap at her, wanting to tell her he was plenty capable of sitting down himself, but he held his tongue. What was the point in yelling anymore? He had been so angry and so upset that even Startledcrow and Nettlenose didn’t want to stay inside with him for too long. And I snapped at my own kin, he thought, remembering his harsh words to Stormkit the day before. Wildpaw grumbled when he was settled in his nest, his left leg sticking out like a sore thorn. “I was trying to stand,” he mumbled, his face contorting into a pout. “I just want to walk again! I’m tired of staying inside of this den where all I see are the rock walls. I can’t stand this place anymore!” 

The inability to breathe in a breath of fresh air was getting to his mind. Nightpaw had been the only cat to visit him the past few sunrises, and mostly because she had just left the medicine den herself. Everyone else stayed away from his snappy attitude. “Congratulations on becoming an official apprentice,” he meowed softly, trying hard to hide his jealousy. “I didn’t get a chance to hear who your mentor was.” 

Shy
    Participant
    Nightpaw
    Apprentice of Windclan

After the initial shock and worry had ebbed, it was replaced by the most poignant kind of sadness. How tormented he must have felt to be trapped in here, knowing that even when he could finally leave, his life wouldn’t be the same. A cruel twist of fate had choked out his aspirations, turning them into forgotten lost dreams. “I know it’s hard,” she began softly, a sense of understanding in her gentle voice, “but you need to rest. You’ll have to stay here longer if you hurt yourself trying to get up on your own. I told you that I’d help you practice moving once your injuries healed completely.” She sat down neatly beside him with only a small space between them. Nightpaw had made a silent vow to be there for him; to help him every step of the way towards his recovery. No matter how hard things got, leaving him just wasn’t an option for her.

The congratulations felt unpleasant to her ears. She’d spent much time with Wildpaw, and in doing so, she had become very acquainted with how he carried himself and spoke. From the hidden pain in Wildpaw’s tone, she could tell that he wasn’t entirely happy with her apprenticeship. “Thank you. It was Quiethawk,” her voice was almost a whisper when she answered him.

She paused for a moment as if thinking to herself, and when she spoke again, her tone was much more serious than it had ever been. “Wildpaw, I appreciate you hiding how you truly feel for my benefit, but you don’t have to pretend that you’re not upset. It’s okay to be angry. Anyone would be given your situation,” her eyes finally found him, their burning intensity fading into something much softer. “What happened to you is unfair. Your life changed completely in the blink of an eye, and I don’t expect you to be okay right now.”

Wolfstar
    Participant

Wildpaw stared at the ground when Nightpaw sat beside him, knowing he was throwing a fit like a small kitten, but it was so hard to find the positive side of things when his dreams had been shattered. He would never be able to fight beside his brother and sister, or make his father proud  the way he wanted to. It was almost torture watching his brother and friend continue and start their training, leaving him even farther behind. What if they forget about me entirely? Anxiety tugged at his chest at the thought, hoping he wouldn’t be left in the dust without anyone to talk with. “I’m tired of resting,” he murmured to the black-furred she-cat. However, despite his grumpiness, he really was grateful that she promised to help him move and walk once he was able, and he could only hope that she truly meant it. She’s being a true friend and here I am giving her a horrible congratulations. Wildpaw shook his head to clear his mind before giving her an actual smile. “I’m sorry. I should have put aside my own feelings for you. You’re finally an apprentice in our Clan and that should be a happy thing. I’m really glad Wolfstar made you an official apprentice. I couldn’t imagine the Clan without you.” He leaned forward and rasped his tongue over her shoulder. 

When Nightpaw expressed how she understood his anger, he shrugged his shoulders and wrapped his tail around himself, the tip resting on his front paws. “I know it’s okay to be angry, but I’ve been so angry that even my family don’t see me as often as they did before. They’re all moving on with their lives, being strong warriors. I don’t know my place anymore, Nightpaw. Startledcrow and Nettlenose don’t think I’ll ever become a warrior, so what can I be? I don’t want to be a medicine cat…I can’t stand being in this den longer than I have been. So what now?” His blue eyes widened with the desperate feeling to belong. Would his father place him in the elder’s den to retire early? What a long, miserable life that would be. Suddenly, an idea sparked in Wildpaw’s mind and he gave his friend a smile. “Maybe after some training days with Quiethawk, you could try and teach me what you learned! It might take me a bit to really get the moves, but I’ll try my best. What do you say?” 

Shy
    Participant
    Nightpaw
    Apprentice Of Windclan

Her teeth worried at her bottom lip. The pain he felt inside was evident. It shone clearly in his sullen blue eyes, and those gravity-drawn shoulders that sunk towards the ground. She’d looked away, finding the sight much too difficult to bear when a gentle touch pulled her back. Wildpaw had licked her shoulder and a flush of pink crept across her cheeks. Nothing about that should have caused such a reaction, but a weird sense of shyness overtook her. She’d figured it was because she wasn’t used to affection of any kind. Nightpaw quickly looked away to find a distraction, flipping a small pebble she found on the ground to compose herself. “T-thank you. There’s no need to apologize,” she fumbled for the right words, tossing the pebble back and forth between her paws until the fluttering of her heart slowed.

Nightpaw hummed in acknowledgement as she listened. She could only assume that his family was hurting about this just as much as she was. After all, Wildpaw wasn’t supposed to be stuck in the medicine cat den. He was supposed to be training with her and his siblings; following his dreams. Anyone, especially his parents who wanted nothing more than to see him flourish as a warrior, would find that difficult to accept. “It isn’t right to avoid you but I don’t think they’re moving on without you. I think they’re having a hard time with it, too, and they’re not sure how to deal with it yet themselves,” she told him promptly, finally turning to face him. “I might not have all of the answers, and the future may be uncertain, but I do know that I will be with you every pawstep of the way. This is your life and you decide your fate,” her words were full of encouragement, urging him to hold onto his own flame. Even though their situation was bleak, and the odds were against them, there was a guiding light in her heart that wouldn’t give up on Wildpaw. She would help him how ever she could. “Wildpaw, that’s a wonderful idea!” her eyes lit up upon hearing his suggestion. “Once you’ve regained some of your strength and got the hang of walking again, I can teach you what I know.“

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums WindClan WindClan Camp WindClan Medicine Den A Changed Life (Wild&Night) [CLOSED]